Omega 3 fatty acids
from fish oil have been extensively studied throughout the world for the past 50 years, in particular
for lowering triglycerides. The studies are so compelling that the FDA issued a ‘Qualified Health Claim’ for
omega 3’s and heart disease on September 8, 2004.
Some Omega 3 Facts
1) Omega 3 fatty acids, considered
polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), are the fastest growing functional food ingredient in the world.
2) Japan, Europe,
Canada and the U.S. have all recommended increased fish in the diet and/or fish oil supplements for the treatment of Coronary
Heart Disease (CHD).
3) Consumer awareness in North America has increased from 15% in 1996 to 58% in 2003 (Gallup/Multisponsor,
4) An Italian study, GISSI-Prevenzione that followed 11,000 blood clot patients for 2-3 years found a 15%
reduction in sudden heart death and a 50% reduction in risk of sudden heart death with 1 gram Omega 3 fatty acids from
fish oil per day.
Health benefits of omega 3 fatty acids include:
* Improves blood lipids by lowering triglyceride
* Reduces the risk of blood clots in the arteries
* Essential for fetal and infant brain, nerve and eye
* Improves symptoms of arthritis & other inflammatory diseases
* Improves symptoms of psoriasis
in some groups
* Possible positive effect on depression, schizophrenia, asthma and Crohns disease